Comic Con 2015: The Last Ship (TV) Panel

It’s one of the most explosive new shows on TV, so it’s no surprise that the cast of Michael Bay’s The Last Ship jumped at the opportunity to panel at Comic-Con again in front of eagerly awaiting fans.

Series regulars Eric Dane, Rhona Mitra and Adam Baldwin were among the cast that took the stage for their Q&A session, spilling the gossip on the upcoming second season and sharing an exclusive and previously unseen 15-minute clip of the second series premiere that showcases a new threat, ready to scupper the life-saving efforts of the U.S.S. Nathan James.

Season One Recap | *WARNING* – May contain spoilers

So what’s happened so far?…

Well to put it simply, the world has become infected by a deadly and ruthless virus that has wiped out billions of the Earth’s population in a matter of weeks. The U.S.S. Nathan James, a warship under the watchful eye of Commander Tom Chandler (Eric Dane) which had been in the remote Artic when the virus took hold, is now humanities only hope at stopping it before mankind is wiped out.

On board is the key to humanities survival – Dr. Rachel Scott (Rhona Mitra) who has discovered a cure for the disease thanks to a primordial strain found in the Artic. However, it seems their mission will not be so simple as they are ruthlessly hunted by a Russian Nucleaur Destroyer, looking to take control of the cure by any means necessary. Along the way, the crew of the Nathan James are put to the test as the fight their way back to US soil to deliver the cure – but the biggest test of all comes when the exhausted crew make it back home, only to discover horrors worse than the virus.

What we can expect next…

During the live Q&A, hosted by Entertainment Weekly, the cast dropped hints regarding the second season what we can expect. Firstly there’s going to be submarines – something that’s sure to beef up the action scenes.

Then there’s the human element to the story – with 80% of the world’s population dead and the other 20% immune to the viruses effects, we’re going to see a power struggle break out as rogue factions battle for power of the once great United States.

It’s going to be an epic season that promises are major cliff-hanger leaving us begging for more – catch the second season of The Last Ship in the UK, Sunday’s at 8pm on Sky1 and Sky1 HD